Monday, September 3, 2012

New Wave Hits Of The 80's - Just Can't Get Enough (Rhino Records)


Back in the mid-1990’s Rhino released “The New Wave Hits Of The 80’s:Just Can’t Get Enough” series featuring many hits and lesser known tracks from the new wave era ranging from the late 70’s to mid-80’s. I purchased 14 of the 15 volumes of this series upon their release mainly because of the love I had for the music of that era since it was my first real exposure to what was new music partly in thanks to MTV. I have recently purchased a DAC and hooked it through my MacBook Pro and have fed it through my receiver on my main listening rig and let me tell you these tracks really pop! Bill Inglot who was responsible for the mastering production of this set did a masterful job to say the least. I did a shootout of Spandau Ballet’s “True” one from the Charlie Angels soundtrack, which was overly compressed, and load (probably to cater to the listening tastes of many) and the version provide on the New Wave Hits set. The New Wave set version had such great life and airy quality to it, great instrument and vocal separation. I would imagine that most of the tracks featured in this 15-volume set are THE go-to versions on cd. I know most don’t like to by physical media but this set is a must buy for anybody who enjoys the new wave era. The cd’s are out of print but can be easily had on the secondary market for under 10 dollars. Go out and get them, you will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment