Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Billy Joel - The Stranger (MFSL SACD)














Billy Joel’s album “The Stranger” is a tour de force sporting the hits Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song), Just The Way You Are & She’s Always A Woman. These tracks have been familiar favorites of music fans for well over 30 years. Classic Rock and Oldies stations play these tracks the to max as well other favorites Scenes From An Italian Restaurant and Only The Good Die Young.  Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) has just released this old friend using the original master tapes and presenting it in a dual layered SACD/CD format packaged in a mini-gatefold LP sleeve. Disclaimer: I have never been a fan of the mini LP sleeve I have always been partial to the MFSL lift and lock jewel case. I must say the mini LP sleeves are growing on me as I acquire more of the MFSL releases (they are looking mighty nice on my shelf). As for the content, I am very familiar with this album as I have clear memory of when it was released and having owned an original Columbia copy on vinyl and the She’s Always A Woman/Vienna 45.  First off, I do not have nor have I ever owned the greatest of vinyl rigs and currently I am empty handed but the original vinyl had a very nice warm sound with just enough bass punch so I had high expectations with this release knowing what a fine job and the care MFSL takes with their mastering. The MFSL SACD layer compares very favorably to the original Columbia vinyl issue. The separation of the instruments are very noticeable and very clean. The low end does show a nice punch similar to the original Columbia the only beef I have is the low-end is a bit too heavy on She’s Always A Woman, it doesn’t work for the track.
Overall the content and the delivery from MFSL is a winner. I would highly recommend this album to any person who has SACD capability. It is not an album I would necessarily demo my system on but it is very enjoyable. I do not see myself seeking out another digital copy of The Stranger. This one is a keeper. Great job MFSL!

My SACD Rig:
Digital Front End
Oppo BDP-93 Analog Front End
N/A
Amplification
Marantz SR6005
Speaker System
Paradigm - Atom Monitor v.6 (Stereo) , Paradigm Monitor CC-190 v. 6(Center), Polk Audio RM 6751 (Surrounds), Polk Audio PSW 111 (Subwoofer)
Speaker Cables
MonoPrice
Interconnects
MonoPrice Pro
 

Track Listing
1. Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
2. The Stranger
3. Just the Way You Are
4. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
5. Vienna
6. Only the Good Die Young
7. She's Always a Woman
8. Get It Right the First Time
9. Everybody Has a Dream













Please go the my Home Page and Follow Me on Twitter and "Like" my Facebook page!!


No comments:

Post a Comment